Subject:Updated Advisory for Indians doing business in YIWU city, Zhejiang Province
In continuation of this Embassy’s earlier advisory dated 3rd January, 2012, and based on our recent experience with Yiwu, the Embassy of India, Beijing urges Indians pursuing business in the city of Yiwu to be aware of the following:
- Freedom of movement could be curtailed; if involved in a court dispute, they may need to stay on for extended periods of time, hence requiring substantial funds for boarding and lodging.
- Pressures may be exerted to sign documents under duress; such documents could be used against them in a court of law.
- Signatures on documents in Chinese language may be obtained under pressure; services of an interpreter should be invariably insisted upon.
- If the due process of law seems to be leading towards a judgment in favor of the Indian party, there is a high possibility of fresh cases being lodged in order to exert additional pressure on Indian businessmen.
- Indian Consulate in Shanghai must be informed of arrival and stay in that area. Their contact details should be kept handy for emergencies.
- Phone numbers/contact details of close relatives/ friends /other associates must be kept with them at all times.