Is granted for the sole purpose of enabling the holder to travel through India to reach his/her ultimate destination. If the holder intends to perform some work or business in India, irrespective of the duration of his/her proposed stay, he /she should obtain a visa of appropriate category.
Is valid only for direct transit, which is not more than 3 days for each visit. For a stay in India beyond 3 days, a visa of the appropriate category should be obtained.
Is ordinarily valid for a single journey and for entry within 15 days from the date of issue.
If the journey is not performed within the period of validity of the visa, a fresh transit visa would be required.
Transit Visa is not required in the following cases (for PRC nationals):
· If he/she is in direct transit by air and traveling through India by the same flight
· If he/she makes a halt at an Indian airport to catch a connecting flight but does not remain at the airport for a period exceeding 24 hours (In case the person desires to visit the town during this period, he/she may be allowed to do so on a landing permit)
· If the person desires to make a stopover in India for a period exceeding 24 hours, he/she will need a regular transit or entry visa
· Copy of air-ticket booking from India to place of final destination or evidence of joining a sea vessel from the Indian port to port of final destination (in the form of letter from the shipping company)
· Other documents as specified in the Checklist
Note: The validity of Transit Visa is 15 days from the date of issue and the stay in India should not exceed a total of three days.
All visa applications submitted at the Indian Visa Application Centre [i.e. by the ordinary passport holders] and at the Embassy [i.e. by Diplomatic, Official and Public Affairs Passport holders] are only accepted in the online form. Online application form can be accessed at the following link:
Online Visa Application
For information regarding Online Visa Application click here.
Information regarding Online Visa Application is also available at the website of India Visa Application Center, Beijing - www.blsindia-china.com.
Note: It is a mandatory requirement to ensure that applicant’s photo is 2 inch x 2 inch (51 mm x 51 mm) in size with white background. Photos which do not meet this specification will not be accepted. The Indian Visa Application Centre also have a photo booth facility (on payment basis) meeting these standards for applicants choosing to submit their application in person.
Checklist for Transit Visa applications
Additional form to be filled by all foreign nationals
Online Visa Form
India Visa Application Centre